DURGAPUR
 
   


Durgapur is a city in the Burdwan District, in the state of West Bengal, India. Durgapur is the third largest city in West Bengal in terms of both area (154.20 km2 / 59.54 sq. miles) and population (5,66,937) (2011 census & excluding the urban agglomeration). Durgapur is the second planned city of India after Chandigarh and has the only operational dry (inland) port in Eastern India. It is one of the six Municipal Corporations in West Bengal and the headquarter of Durgapur subdivision consists of Durgapur Municipal Corporation and five community development blocs: Durgapur–Faridpur, Galsi–I, Kanksa, Andal and Pandabeswar, the five blocks contain 36 gram panchayats and 30 census towns. Distance from Kolkata: By Road 170 km via NH-2, by Rail 158 km and by Flight 163 km. Durgapur Urban Agglomeration includes: Durgapur (Municipal Corporation), Bamunara (Census Town) and Arrah (Census Town) and ranks 4th (in terms of population) among other urban agglomerations in West Bengal. Durgapur is also one of the three Y class cities in West Bengal. It was the dream child of Dr. Bidhan Chandra Roy, the second chief minister of the state. The industrial township was designed by Joseph Allen Stein and Benjamin Polk. and is home to one of the largest industrial units in the state, Durgapur Steel Plant, an integrated steel plant under Steel Authority of India Limited. Alloy Steels Plant of SAIL ,Central Mechanical Engineering Research Institute (CMERI), a C.S.I.R. laboratory and Allied ICD Services Limited, the custodian of the only operational inland port (ICD Durgapur) in Eastern India, is situated in Durgapur as well. There are four power plants Durgapur Projects Limited (D.P.L.), Durgapur Thermal Power Station, Damodar Valley Corporation & N.S.P.C.L., a few chemical and engineering industries, some metallurgical units have come up in recent years. The National Institute of Technology, Durgapur (earlier known as Durgapur Regional Engineering College) is recognised as an Institute of National Importance by the government of India

 
 
CMERI
The Central Mechanical Engineering Research Institute (also known as CSIR-CMERI Durgapur or CMERI Durgapur) is a public engineering research and development institution in Durgapur, West Bengal, India. It is a constituent laboratory of the Indian Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR). This institute is the only national level research institute in the field of mechanical engineering in India. The institute is dedicated to the work in the area of mechanical and allied engineering disciplines. The CMERI was founded in February 1958 under the endorsement of the CSIR. It was founded to develop national mechanical engineering technology, particularly in order to help Indian industries. During its first decade, the CMERI mainly focused its efforts towards national technology and import substitution. Currently, the Institute is making R&D efforts in the front-line areas of research such as Robotics, Mechatronics, Microsystem, Cybernetics, Manufacturing, Precision agriculture, Embedded system, Near net shape manufacturing and Biomimetics. Besides conducting cutting-edge research, the Institute works towards different R&D based mission mode programs of country to provide suitable technological solutions for poverty alleviation, societal improvement, energy security, food security, aerospace, mining, automobile and defense.
Kendubillo  (also known as Joydeb Kenduli) is a temple town in  Birbhum-Murshidabad  district of West Bengal. It is believed to be the birthplace of Joydeb, 12th century Sanskrit poet, and has an old temple. Poet Joydeb is famous for lyrical composition Geeta Gobinda. Kendubillo is a temple town in Birbhum district of West Bengal. Also known as Joydeb-Kenduli, it is located about 22 km from Durgapur and is famous for its temples that portray exquisite carvings as well as the Makar Sakranti Fair. The place houses a navaratna temple, named Radha Vinod Temple, which was set up by the royal family of Burdawan. The temple boasts of excellent terracotta artifacts on its walls. The fair, on the other hand, is held in the first half of January and is one of the major rural fairs in West Bengal, extending for about 10 to 15 days. Joydeb dreamt that Goddess Ganges would change her course and flow by the side of his residence. He would find a lotus in the high tide and that would signify the flow of river Ganges. Next day, Joydeb saw a lotus floating on the river on the nearest ghat (the bathing place). Since then Kenduli became a popular place for annual fair, named after the poet.

Bishnupur was ruled under the Gupta period by local Hindu kings who paid tribute to Samudra Gupta. Following a long period of obscurity, where the land oscillated between being a minor independent principality and a vassal state. The land is also called Mallabhum after the Malla rulers of this place. The Malla rulers were Vaishnavites and built the famous terracotta temples during the 17th and 18th century at this place. The terracotta temples here are the best specimen of the classical style of Bengal architecture. The legends of Bipodtarini Devi are associated with Malla Kings of Bishnupur. At a distance of about 72 km from Durgapur, Bishnupur is an ancient city, reputed for its magnificent temples and terracotta sculptures. Home to major art and craft, Vishnupur has also been credited for its Baluchari sari, which has its base well rooted in this ancient city. Initially woven with Ramayana and Mahabharata motifs, the saris have now been modernized. Panchmura, the place which produces Bankura horse - the symbol of Indian handicrafts, is also near Bishnupur and can be visited while touring the city., now the headquarters of the subdivision of the same name in Bankura district, is a seat of crafts and culture. For almost a thousand years it was the capital of the Malla kings of Mallabhum, of which Bankura was a part, till their power waned during the times when Mughal Empire weakened under the last monarchs of the dynasty. The patronage of Malla king Veer Hambir and his successors Raja Raghunath Singha Dev and Bir Singha Dev made Bishnupur one of the principal centres of culture in Bengal. Most of the exquisite terracotta temples for which town is justly famous were built during this period.
Randiha (Bengali: রনডিহা) is a tourist spot in Durgapur subdivision of Bardhaman district in the Indian state of West Bengal. Randiha is a homely tourist spot in the Durgapur subdivision of Burdwan district, about 10 km from Panagarh on NH2. Apart from enjoying the serene beauty of the place one can also enjoy a boat ride on the river, can take a refreshing dip in the cool waters of Damodar, listen to the chirping of birds or can simply indulge in fun and merry making with near and dear ones. One must not miss the chance to go on a boat ride.

If you love fishing then Randiha is the place to be at. One must get himself prepared with all the necessary fishing equipments and enjoy fishing at Randiha.

Randiha weir

In 1932, the Anderson weir was constructed at Randiha. As a result, irrigation facility has been available in the lower Damodar basin before the advent of dams by means of the diversion weir on the Damodar and Eden canal to the extent of 890 square kilometres in the districts of Burdwan and Hooghly. Detailed examination of flow data as available at Randiha, revealed that maximum flow of 650,000 cu ft/s (18,000 m3/s) had occurred twice in August 1913 and August 1935 before the implementation of Damodar Valley Scheme. It is about 10 kilometres (6.2 mi) from Panagarh on NH 2 and about 19 kilometres (12 mi) downstream of Durgapur Barrage.